Friday, August 4, 2017

Method 1.1

As you may have noticed from my long absence, I've stalled out a bit on the magic system front. The sum of available spells is daunting, and so I'm going to take it on from another direction. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, I've been thinking a lot about my love (and most of my players' hate) for Method I character generation--that's the 3d6 in order method. My advocacy for it is based partly on my preference for the inherently unbalanced style of old school D&D. I like that a Paladin and a Ranger are better than a Fighter. I like that they are special, hard-to-come-by character options, which a player is lucky to ever get to have. I like how it makes such characters valuable and exciting.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with someone wanting to play a thief type character, as opposed to a warrior or magic-user. It's the rarity of the special classes that I want to preserve. To that end, I've settled on what I call Method 1.1 for character creation. It's very simple: Roll 3d6 in order, from Strength on down the list. Any attribute of 13 or higher is locked in place where it was rolled. Any attribute of 12 or lower may be swapped with another attribute of 12 or lower. This allows a player some control over the broad type of character he or she wants to play without giving away the store.

For example, consider a character with the following attributes:

Str 7
Dex 12
Con 15
Int 9
Wis 8
Cha 13

Under Method 1.1, this character's Constitution and Charisma scores are locked and cannot be moved. The others can. Under Method 1, we're looking at a Thief. Under Method 1.1, we're looking at a character who qualifies for any of the basic classes after moving that 12 where it's needed.

An additional benefit is that it mitigates the frustration of almost getting a special class. So you rolled a Str 14, Wis 13, and Cha 17? Too bad about that darn 8 on Con. A 9 would've got you a Paladin. In Method 1.1, that 8 can be swapped with the 11 you got for Dex. I figure if you can net the difficult requirements, the little ones can be fudged a little.

2 comments:

  1. At my table, we've had the same argument for 20+ years, players want high stats to get all of those bonuses at generation, and I want fair numbers so that the Non-Weapon Proficiency System functions.

    If you suck at playing a character with a 3 in their stats, you are going to suck with a character who has an 18.

    Whatever, I quit arguing. I correct their stats through play, draining or raising them through magic and/or special monster attacks.

    We've play-tested many different forms of generation, 4d6 drop the lowest is just the easiest to remember. They don't re-roll ones and twos anymore, which at least says that my arguing has gotten me somewhere.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme.

      I've just figured out that I don't really care about making someone play a Thief vs a Fighter. I care about making someone play a Fighter vs a Paladin.

      Delete